Swimming is a vital part of the PE National Curriculum. The curriculum states that children should be taught to
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25m.
- use a range of strokes effectively (e.g. front crawl, backstroke and breast stroke)
- perform safe self rescue in different water based situations
Uplands has recently signed up to the School Swimming Charter ensure that your child swimming is taken seriously.
Water safety element
One of the award criteria for children is that they have an understanding of the water safety code. Therefore a powerpoint and test has been created for your child to study and complete.
- Information presentation -
- Test - Please click on this link one your child has received their log in from the PE department. http://quizstar.4teachers.org/indexs.jsp
During the academic year 2018/2019 all children from year 5 will be attending swimming lessons at Evington Pool. The swimming timetable is below:
- All children are expected to participate in every swimming lesson to meet the expectations of the PE National Curriculum.
- If your child is unable to swim, a note must be provided to their teacher explaining the reason.
- Children need to bring correct swimwear. All swimwear must be designed specifically for swimming.
- Girls - Swimsuit / burkini, towel, waterproof / carrier bag
- Boys - Swim shorts (must be mid thigh or above), towel, waterproof / carrier bag
- Long hair needs to be tied back.
- Swim hats may be worn, however this is not compulsory.
- All jewellery / religious items must be removed.
- Children should act in a sensible manner throughout the journey, on poolside and in the water / changing rooms.
- Children must listen to the instructors at all times.
Swimming achievements (2018/2019)